Found in the late 60's on the island of Thera (Santorini) in the Aegean Sea in the House of the Ladies
. The large, two-storeyed building was named after the fresco with the Ladies and the Papyruses, which decorated the interior. Dated to 1200 BC.
Fresco painting was one of the most important forms of Minoan art. Plastered walls from the Minoan palaces and villas that have survived to our day provide a precious portrait of life in Crete during prehistoric times. The figures and scenes painted in the Minoan frescoes display the familiar Egyptian side view with the frontal eye, as well as the sharp outlines in solid color.(more information on the art of fresco wall painting...)
An exact museum reproduction, made of bonded marble and painted by hand.